Wanted to share a quick work in progress post today and to tell you about an awesome giveaway happening over on Instagram this week!
If you haven't tried making a Modern Hexies project using Liberty yet - I highly recommend it! Liberty fabric Tana Lawn has such a light and airy feel and is a delight to english paper piece with.
My friends over at Alice Caroline Fabrics gifted me a 9 piece fat quarter set of their exclusive Liberty bundle - Halcyon Daze! They are also letting me give away the same bundle - keep reading to learn how to enter (and yes this awesome prize is available worldwide).
This collection has the most beautiful pastel palette and I knew exactly what I wanted to make as soon as I saw it!
My favorite fabric in the bunch is definitely this one - called Small Susanna Pastel Party. How fun is that name?!
The little hearts in the center of the sunflowers is just such a beautiful detail.
I decided to cut some strips from the fabrics to make some Hexagons for a Hexie Pillow - and since they are such a delight to sew up - I might make a few!
I can't decide if I am going to do a pillow in each of the fabrics - or combine them for a few pillows with all nine fabrics combined.
How to thread baste Hexies
I created a new video for you to learn my favorite method of thread basting hexagons. I recently made several of these on a road trip my husband and I took this past weekend and it is such a great portable traveling project.
Click below to watch my thread basting video.
Halcyon Daze bundle
Fabrics listed in order of photo are:
- Felicite Y Sherbet
- Wiltshire Funshine
- Capel Mint Choc Chip
- Betsy X Splash
- Felicite X Lavender
- Small Susanna Pastel Party
- Betsy Y Lady Di
- Felicite X Fairy Cake
- Junes Meadow Dolly Mixture
Some of my go to hexie sewing tools
I have a special section in my amazon affiliates store where I keep all of my english paper piecing favorites.
- Need a place to store your Hexagons and supplies? I have a few of these Sterilite Divided Tray Cases and they are the perfect size for everything! It's super sturdy and closes up tight, perfect for traveling. You can also remove the little sections and just take the part that you need to your sewing space. Check it out here.
- My go to papers for basting my hexagons are by the company Paper Peices - such good quality, paper thickness is perfect and I can reuse these papers so many times. Click here for the 100 pack set.
- I use this needle storage case for all of my hand sewing needles - it's magnetic and opens up just like a lipstick case which is fun! Small enough to fit in most storage cases or thrown in a bag. Click here for the Dritz Twist N Select Needle Storage Case.
- If you are making a Modern Hexies project a quality fabric adhesive is a must! I have been using this Fabric Fuse by Thermoweb for years and love the consistency and ease of use on this particular glue. Click here for Fabric Fuse.
- I get a lot of questions on what needles are my favorite - these are so great for all types of hand sewing and quilting but definitely my go to for hexie basting. Click here for the Tulip Milliners Straw Needles.
Fabric Giveaway time!
- Follow both @modernhandcraft + @alicecarolinefabrics
- Comment for an additional entry
- Tag a friend for an extra entry!
This giveaway is open worldwide - so everyone has a chance!
I will share more of my pillow progress as I work on them, in the meantime good luck on the giveaway!!
Thanks for stopping by today friends, happy sewing -
This page contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase after clicking a link, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.