I am here today with a quick and fun little project that you can make for yourself or as a gift to give a fellow sewing friend!
My Hexie Pincushion tutorial uses a small amount of fabric and your favorite colors of acrylic or wool felt. The felt I am using today is from a beautiful color collection from Alison Glass and Weeks Dye Works, you can find it here.
- Wool or Acrylic felt
- 2 – 5″ pieces of fabric
- Coordinating thread
- 2 – 5″ pieces of batting
- Fabric fuse glue or other permanent fabric glue
- Polyfil or cotton stuffing
- Sizzix Big Shot machine
- Sizzix standard cutting mats
- Sizzix Bigz Die – 1/2″ Hexagons
- Make a Sizzix sandwich with a cutting mat, hexagon die, felt, cutting mat and roll through your machine.
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric measuring 5″ square.
- Arrange hexagons on your 5″ fabric square, keep enough room on your sides for sewing.
- Using your fabric glue, add just enough to secure each hexagon. Allow glue to dry before sewing.
- Now that your glue is dry you can start to sew across your hexagons.
- A layer of batting behind your front and back fabric piece makes a nice thickness for quilting. I use a little bit of basting spray to attach my batting to the fabric.
- After quilting your front and back piece, place both pieces right sides touching and pin or clip around the edges. Sew around the perimeter keeping a small opening to turn your pincushion right side out.
- Stuff with polyfil or cotton blend stuffing and stitch closed.
Hope you enjoyed today’s quick project! If you make a pincushion please share a picture or link in the comments below 🙂
Thanks for stopping by today friends!