Geometric Rainbow – Kona Hexies Quilt

Geometric Rainbow – Kona Hexies Quilt
December 16, 2014 nicole

Hi friends, today I am sharing some photos of the Kona hexie quilt I made last month as my entry into the Quiltcon Quilt Show for next year. I have shared many progress pictures on Instagram and a few over here on the blog so I am so excited to share the final quilt with you all! The method I use for the application and the quilting can be found over here on an earlier tutorial I shared on my blog this last year. I would say this is more of an art quilt due to the delicate nature of the hexagons, but would look lovely draped at the end of your bed, or like I intend to use it, as a wall hanging in my house.

Modern Handcraft // Geometric Rainbow - Modern Hexie Quilt

Here are a few images from this earlier post showing the full range of Robert Kaufman’s Kona solid collection. This includes the entire collection of 303 Kona cotton solid colors in hexagon form. These took a little while to create and were mostly made on the airplane when I had some time here and there to make a few. These have become my favorite traveling project just because of the small amount of materials that you need and how easy they are to sew up a few here and there while I am out of town.

Modern Handcraft // Geometric Rainbow - Modern Hexie Quilt

This was the first time I had tried this method on such a large quilt – this is a throw sized quilt and the previous quilts are all mini’s. Thankfully it came together much easier than I expected. I layered my solid white fabric with my cotton batting and then hung it up in my dining room with a few thumbtacks stretching it out flat. Using the crease I made with my iron I just glued in no particular order onto the solid fabric. Once you make a few of these you can just eye ball the pattern and since I had my stack of hexies in color order I tried to keep the flow nice by having the darker solids in the middle getting lighter as I reached the edges.

Modern Handcraft // Geometric Rainbow - Modern Hexie Quilt

Here are some final shots of the quilt, I so enjoyed sewing this one up and am looking forward to making a new one in a different style. The quilt rack shown in some of these images is actually a fantastic towel stand that was only $20 that I found at Ikea. I have tested it out with over 5 throw quilts and it is so sturdy and quite nice to look at!

Modern Handcraft // Geometric Rainbow - Modern Hexie Quilt

I discovered when folding up in different ways and placing on the quilt rack that it takes on a whole new look with the different sections of color. You can make it match just about any room in your house if folded correctly!

Modern Handcraft // Geometric Rainbow - Modern Hexie Quilt

A huge thank you to Robert Kaufman for supplying me with the Kona 303 collection for this project. It has been a dream item on my list to create and am so very thankful to the ladies who assisted me with this!

Thanks for stopping by today friends!

1. veni vidi vicky 3 years ago

This quilt is epic, Nicole. And I’m buying that ladder the next time I’m at IKEA, you conviced me!

2. Wow… so awesome, just wonderful! I love this Quilt, it’s a realy great work!

3. Vicki@Hitch&Thread 3 years ago

I saw this towel rack at ikea yesterday and thought to myself that it would make a great quilt rack! If only I had room. Love the quilt.

4. Your Quilt is completely fabulous – great pics!

5. Amanda 3 years ago

It’s pure perfection Nicole!!! I love absolutely everything about it 🙂 Some day I will make a mini quilt using your hexie method!

6. Elizabeth 3 years ago

Wow! just WOW!!

7. Christine Sherman 3 years ago

You never cease to amaze me! So…when are you going to design some fabric?! We all know it would be awesome 🙂

8. This is fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. I love this technique and to see all the Kona colours like this is just stunning. You have such a way with a clean modern aesthetic it’s a joy to look at. I’m adding this hexagon technique to my must sew list for 2015.

9. Ashley 3 years ago

Really amazing! Truly a careful work of art. I love how different it looks depending on how you folded it!

10. Kathy 3 years ago

Hi, I love this quilt.. Did you buy the Robert Kaufman 303 card? Are the sample big enough to get hexi’s one them? I can’t find a charm pack with all the colors.

11. Kathy paul 3 years ago

I’m trying to figure out if the 303 Robert Kaufman card is what I need for this hexagon quilt. Not sure if the size is right. Please help.

Hi Kathy! So sorry I missed your first message. This project was actually sponsored in a way by RK (they provided the fabric), but I believe that if you purchase all of their solid bundles you will end up with all of the colors. There are bright bundles, neutral, classic etc. The card swatches are too small since you will need an actual 2.5″ square piece for each hexie.

13. Anita Bowen 3 years ago

Absolutely love this hexi project- I’m on my 879th hexi of all my scraps- loved the pillow in the original tutorial and this will further inspire me! Question- I noticed you changed “glue” products, are both easy to sew through? And when you apply the glue, do you just use a dab on the long sides? Thanks for your reply and see you at Quilt-Con!

Wow, that is amazing – 879!!! I switched glue to a product that was less “stringy”, I like the creamy texture of the glue now – seems to make a bit less mess. Both are easy to sew through, I have had no trouble with my needles or machine, just wait till the glue dries. I apply a very thin line around the entire perimeter, this helps glue the entire hexie down ( I will make sure to add this info to the tutorial, always helps to have good feedback like this!). So fun you will be at Quiltcon, and I hope to meet you!!

15. Anita Bowen 3 years ago

Thanks Nicole-will look for the new product as I complete my bundle of 3/4″ hexies! We are a football family and the bowl games, NFL playoffs, and upcoming championship game account for my prolific output as well as lots of time to play with designs-I appreciate your inspiring designs and products.

16. Bekah 3 years ago

That’s so pretty! I have a major love of hexie quilts, and of colour, so I think this is stunning!

17. Daniel Limb 3 years ago

Hi there, would you be willing to make and sell a quilt like this? I know that this isn’t the point of this post at all but I love this quilt and am not much of a seamster! I would be really interested in buying one from you. Let me know either way.

Dan

18. Bland McPherson 3 years ago

This is Stunning. And the capital “S” is on purpose! This is truly inspired and inspiring work.

19. Becky Ezra 3 years ago

I am in love with this quilt. thanks for sharing. The only worry for me is how does it looks after visiting the washing mashing?

20. B.R 2 years ago

Hello.

How big is your hexagons in this? 1,5″ or 2″? Same as the tutorial of the smaller? 🙂

These are also 1″ hexies (measured by one flat side) or 2″ across the hexie 🙂

22. Heide 2 years ago

Amazing! Such beautiful colors.

23. Kathy 2 years ago

Hi, can you tell me the spacing between each one. Hard to tell by pic and I’m ready to place them. Thank you, kathy

Hi Kathy! Sorry for the late reply, they are spaced 1/4″ from each other. Hope this helps and I got back to you in time!! 🙂

25. Judy 2 years ago

Nicole, do you have any tips on spacing them? do you just eye ball it or do you measure the spacing somehow?

I usually eye ball it for the most part – I have even heard people using small lego pieces to help with spacing!

Pingbacks

1. […] Geometric Rainbow Quilt […]

2. […] the blog, Modern Handcraft I saw a modern quilt using hexagons as appliques and wanted to do something […]

3. […] Modern Hexie Quilt via Modern Hancraft […]

4. […] 出典:http://modernhandcraft.com/2014/12/geometric-rainbow-kona-hexies-quilt/ […]

5. […] From Modern Handcraft. […]

6. […] Geometric Rainbow Hexie Quilt […]

7. […] the subtle change of color down, just amazing.  Here is Modern Handcraft site – go check out the awesome quilt and […]

8. […] love this Hexagon Quilt from Nicole of Modern Handcraft. She paper pieced each little hexagon… it’s definitely a labor of love. But English […]

9. […] its a table runner from Viva Terra or a Modern Hexie quilt from Modern Handcraft, using a rainbow of colors seems to be pretty popular these days.  We can see why, it’s so […]