Denim Triangle Quilt

Denim Triangle Quilt
October 1, 2014 nicole

Hi friends!

This might just be the longest WIP ever….well, one of the longest quilts for me to complete – The Denim Triangle Quilt.

Modern Handcraft // Denim Triangle Quilt

It all began in the summer of 2011 when I was pregnant with my son Grey. Growing rapidly I decided in haste or was it my nesting instinct, to cut up all of my pre-pregnancy jeans. I believe it was a total of 21 pairs, throw in a couple of my husbands which were beyond repair and I had my work cut out for me, literally. It took a while standing at the kitchen counter of our old apartment cutting the legs off, then the side seams and using my straight acrylic ruler cutting into 6″ wide strips and then finally cutting into triangles. Then I put it all in a plastic target bag and let it sit there.

Modern Handcraft // Denim Triangle Quilt

(Note to self, iron the quilt before taking pictures) Fast forward to when my son was just over 6 months old, I decided to sew the rows together. At the time I didn’t know how to line up my triangles correctly to keep my points straight (click here for instructions on how to do it correctly) so the tips were cut off…but I was totally fine with it, because it was so heavy I just wanted to be done.

Modern Handcraft // Denim Triangle Quilt

Modern Handcraft // Denim Triangle Quilt

Modern Handcraft // Denim Triangle Quilt

Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I finally decided that this quilt needed batting and a backing. For my backing I used a duvet cover from H & M home, a camo print, that was on clearance. Never really intending to use with the denim, I am really pleased with how it worked out. This quilt is now going to be our camping quilt, heavy duty denim with the camo is just perfect. Especially for those cold nights when you need a heavier blanket…and this is definitely heavy.

Modern Handcraft // Denim Triangle Quilt

Modern Handcraft // Denim Triangle Quilt

I hope my son enjoys growing up with this one, and I will make sure that he knows that he is the reason this quilt was made, because without him…momma would still be rocking her skinny jeans! I think the trade off was more than fair…he is a keeper 🙂

Modern Handcraft // Denim Triangle Quilt

Materials used:

• 21-24 pairs of old jeans cut into 6″ tall triangles (start saving those old jeans friends!)
  • Aurifil black thread – sewn down the middle points of the triangles
  • Cotton batting
  • Camo print backing and binding – duvet cover from H&M Home

Finished quilt measurements: 53″ x 77″

Thanks for stopping by friends!

1. Love this!! What a great way to use up those skinny jeans and totally worth it! 🙂

2. This looks fabulous. I bet it will just get softer and softer with age. I love a good heavy quilt – something nice about snuggling down into it when you’re cold. Love!

3. Michele T 4 years ago

Wow, wow, wow!! I love it!!!! You must feel awesome that its finished and looks fantastic!! Must weigh a tonne eh?

4. lisa@hilltophouse 4 years ago

OMGoodness! This is an amazing quilt. So cool, blue and just perfect. I especially like the worn out knees triangles.

5. Christine Sherman 4 years ago

This is great! My husband has an old denim quilt from his Mom, the back fell off. He wants me to fix it. I told him no. Sad but true lol. I hate sewing denim but your quilt makes me double think it…

6. Beautiful quilt with character and a wonderful history behind it.

7. Hanna 2 years ago

What an adorable idea! I could probaly find the old jeans at a thrift store as well!

This would be awesome for the summer too by the pool or going at our local restoration historic village. hey have lots of performances over the summer that are outdoors and this would be perfect for that!

8. Mari 2 years ago

how did you sew through the seams when connecting the rows? my machine keeps jamming and hates going through the multiple layers, especially at the triangle points when the opposite ends meet!

I am a beginner at sewing and I am just at a loss of how to sew the rows together.

Mari

Hi Mari,
    I had to go pretty slow over the rows where the four fabrics met, that and make sure my seams were pressed open really well. Luckily some of the denims used were a little thinner but I still had some issues here and there. I would recommend a denim needle or heavy duty, they are a bit stronger. I also had to pull the quilt through some tough spots to make it go through my machine.

10. Linda 2 years ago

Wonderful suggestion! Love the quilt idea! You ROCK!!

11. Alisha 2 years ago

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

Pingbacks

1. […] For a more intricate denim quilt, try your hand at these gorgeous triangles from Modern Handcraft. […]

2. […] geometric picnic blanket from Modern Handcraft will certainly turn heads! It looks so good that passers-by won’t even believe that you made it […]