Confetti Pillow: A Tutorial

Hello friends! Excited to share with you today a fun tutorial to add a little Springtime to your decor – The Confetti Pillow!

confettipillowmodernhandcraftheader

This was inspired by the Pantone spring fashion trend report for 2014 that I have seen online all this week. Pantone-Spring-2014I tried my very best with what solids I had on hand to re-create the spring color choices – and what better way to celebrate the start of spring with some confetti!

Materials needed:

confettipillowpantone

• Solids closely matching the above shades – I cut a strip of each measuring 2″ x 17″
  • Heat N Bond lite if you are quilting -or- Heat N Bond No Sew if you are not quilting, I cut a strip measuring 2″ x 17″ for each color used (10 strips total)
  • Solid white fabric for pillow measuring 19″ x 41″ and two strips measuring 2.5″ x 19″
  • Heat N Bond Fusible Fleece measuring 19″ x 41″
  • Straight pins, rotary blade, cutting mat, iron, old towel, coordinating thread,pencil or pen, a roll of thread or other template for your circles (under 2″ diameter)

Step 1:

confettipillowtutorial1

• Cut fabric and Heat N Bond into strips measuring 2″ x 17″

confettipillowtutorial2

• Following the directions (Medium heat & no steam) iron your Heat N Bond sticky side down onto your fabric. I like to lay an old towl on my ironing board to keep any unwanted residue from ending up there.

confettipillowtutorial3

• Taking your roll of thread of other template (under 2″) draw circles on the paper backing of the Heat N Bond, closely together to get the most out of each strip.

confettipillowtutorial4

• Cut out your circles or confetti as we will call it now.

Step 2:

confettipillowtutorial5

confettipillowtutorial6

• Back at your iron you will now take your white fabric piece measuring 19″ x 41″ and lay it on your ironing board. Remove the paper backing from your confetti and randomly place on your white cloth – iron down. I like to spread my confetti out light on top and heavier at the bottom.

confettipillowtutorial9

• Once you are finished you can now iron your pillow cover onto your fusible fleece – backing of pillow top to sticky side of fleece. Iron on as directions note.

Step 3:

confettipillowtutorial10

• If you used the Heat N Bond no sew you can skip this quilting step – I went with the lite and did a straight line stitch making a grid pattern. Free motion quilting loops or circles would look great on this as well!

confettipillowtutorial11

confettipillowtutorial12

• At your cutting mat – trim up your edges and square.

Step 5:

confettipillowtutorial13

• You will now add binding to the short ends of your pillow, this will finish off the ends for your envelope back. Take your two strips of 2.5″ x 19″ fabric and iron in half lengthwise. Matching raw ends of binding to the raw edge of pillow pin in place. Stitch along edge with a 1/4″ seam allowance.

confettipillowtutorial14

• Fold over the edge making sure to pass your stitch line and pin.

confettipillowtutorial15

• Flip over and stitch along the side of your binding to secure in place.

Step 6:

confettipillowtutorial17

• With your pillow facing right side up – fold over each side 11″ inches like shown. This will make your envelope back. You will be sewing this wrong side out.

confettipillowtutorial18

• Pin along open sides – placing a pin at the points where your envelope fold will meet. Make sure to back stitch a few times at these points to secure the pillow opening.

confettipillowtutorial19

• Sew along each side with a 1/4″ seam allowance. When finished a simple zig-zag stitch will seal your ends nicely.
  • Turn your pillow inside out and poke out the corners with a chopstick or knitting needle and you are done!

confettipillowmodernhandcraft1

confettipillowmodernhandcraft3

confettipillowmodernhandcraft5

confettipillowmodernhandcraft4

confettipillowmodernhandcraft2

Time to celebrate Spring!!!

Hope you enjoyed today’s tutorial – please share your work on Instagram with #confettipillow and tag me @ModernHandcraft –  I would LOVE to see your work!!!

***This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links

17 Comments on Confetti Pillow: A Tutorial

1. Melissa Quinn
    March 4, 2014 at 3:30 pm (5 months ago)

Gorgeous. What a great idea! Thank you for another wonderful tutorial.

• nicole
      March 5, 2014 at 10:19 am (5 months ago)

Thank you so much Melissa. Someone made the comment on Instagram yesterday about adding it to an outside pocket on a bag – how fun would that be! I might start ironing little circles to everything :)

2. Jess Abbott
    March 5, 2014 at 8:57 am (5 months ago)

I love EVERYTHING about this Nicole!!!

• nicole
      March 5, 2014 at 10:16 am (5 months ago)

Thanks Jess!!! This was one of those crazy last minute projects – I have Heat N Bond scraps all over my dining room floor now :)

3. Mara
    March 5, 2014 at 3:16 pm (5 months ago)

this is lovely and really does remind me of spring!

• nicole
      March 7, 2014 at 9:13 am (5 months ago)

Thank you Mara – I am so happy that you think so too!

4. Lisa
    March 7, 2014 at 7:34 am (5 months ago)

This is so much fun. I’m on the hunt for fusible – everything! I motive when you were sewing the quilting grid that you gave a marvelous foot to help sew the grid. Is that a universal foot I could get for my machine?

• nicole
      March 7, 2014 at 9:13 am (5 months ago)

Thank you so much Lisa – this is a walking foot I use when quilting. I believe most machines have a foot that is similar – that little bar that sticks out is the guide, so handy when quilting. I have a Janome Memory Craft and this was the foot that came with my machine.

5. Kathy @merrimentdesign
    March 8, 2014 at 8:30 am (5 months ago)

I love it! I’m a new fan, trying to psyche myself up for making a quilt for my 4 year old. You make quilting look easy!

• nicole
      March 9, 2014 at 10:26 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you so much Kathy!! You can totally make a quilt for your girl – there are some awesome tutorials available now online that show you every step, so so helpful. Feel free to contact me with any questions too – you can do this!

6. Stephanie @ Quarter Incher
    March 10, 2014 at 8:43 pm (5 months ago)

This is so fun! I wanna make one now! It’ll have to wait until after the baby though :)

• nicole
      March 11, 2014 at 7:06 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you Stephanie! It was fun, I know you will enjoy it :) When is your baby due?

7. JoJo Kanner
    March 23, 2014 at 6:03 am (4 months ago)

Love, Love, LOVE this pillow, Nicole. I’m also a flight attendant who has to bring my sewing stuff with me on my trips…those little circles will certainly be cut on my next layover! If you haven’t seen their technique, the Alabama Chanin website provides some true inspiration. I always seem to be embroidering something AC-inspired on my commuter flights up to NY. Many thanks for the tutorial, which is beautifully shot, BTW. :-)

8. Kelly in Chicago
    April 14, 2014 at 4:57 pm (3 months ago)

Thanks for the tutorial! This is so much fun! I’m getting a lot of quilt inspiration from your pillow, and I’ve pinned it to my “Quilty Goodness” board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you’d like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/

• nicole
      April 15, 2014 at 10:45 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Kelly in Chicago or should I say neighbor :) Thank you so much for adding it to your quilty goodness board – I hope you try out the tutorial sometime or can use the idea for a future quilt – it was so much fun to make. New follower over here too, you have some awesome pins!!

9. Melissa
    May 26, 2014 at 9:02 pm (2 months ago)

Beautiful. I’ve seen several pictures of people making confetti walls. Is the Heat and Bond washable?

10. grandmalala100
    June 14, 2014 at 8:40 pm (1 month ago)

I love the color and movement of this confetti pillow! Thanks for sharing and I plan on trying it!