Today is finally my day for the Dreaming of Stars Blog Tour and I am so excited to share with you my star block - Star Crossed
Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the tutorial for your chance to win a 1/2 yard of each fabric used today!
The inspiration for this block came from two quilts I made last year: Starry Night - that was all wonky stars and my favorite – Japanese X and Plus.
This block measures 12″ and can be made using the same fabrics block after block creating a fun lattice effect or using all of the Dream Solids from Timeless Treasures creating a rainbow of colors!
(Be sure to visit the Sew Timeless blog this Friday for a chance to win the entire 30 piece set!)
- Sewing Machine and notions (thread, rotary cutter, cutting mat, fabric marker/pencil, acrylic ruler, iron & pressing mat/board)
Fabric Prep per 12″ block: ( I am listing the colors used with the cutting instructions)
- Dream Basics White: 1 – 4.5″ square, 8 – 2.5″ squares
- Dream Basics Black: 8 – 2″ x 4.5″ rectangles, 8 – 3″ squares
- Dream Basics Aqua: 4 – 4.5″ squares
- Dream Basics Citrus: 4 – 2″ x 4.5″ rectangles
- Begin by taking 1 – 4.5″ Aqua square and laying it on your cutting mat facing up, place 2 – Black 3″ squares on two opposite corners right side facing down. Draw a line running from corner to corner like shown with your fabric pen – pin in place.
- Sew along the drawn line.
- Using your acrylic ruler and your rotary cutter cut off the ends outside the sewn line leaving about a 1/4″ seam allowance – do this to both sides.
- Using your iron -iron your seam allowance down, turn over and press.
- Complete this step 3 more times – you will now have 4 complete blocks that look like this.
- Take 2 – Black 2″ x 4.5″ rectangles and 1 Citrus 2″ x 4.5″ rectangle to your machine. Start by laying a Black and a Citrus right sides together – sew along one one side of the 4.5″ length. Open your square now and place your other black rectangle down on the orange rectangle and sew along the other side – this will look like a Black square with a Citrus line running down the middle. Press open your seam allowances, turn over and press.
- Using your rotary cutter and mat, trim around your block to make a 4.5″ square
- Complete this step 3 more times – you will now have 4 complete blocks.
- Take 1 Black and Citrus square that you just completed and 2 – White 2.5″ squares to your machine.
- Place a White square at the bottom of your Citrus/Black square like shown. Using your acrylic ruler and your fabric pen, draw a line from one corner to the other – pin in place.
- Sew along the drawn line (Note: Complete each step fully for the white square before starting a second one – do not sew both on at the same time, it will make the overlap of the star points difficult).
- At your cutting mat, trim away the end point on the outside of the sewn line. Iron open ( I like to iron towards the darker colors so that they will not show through the front, like shown)
- Now at your machine, place the second white square on the opposite bottom corner and repeat the steps to sew – cut – and iron.
- Complete this step 3 more time – you will now have 4 complete blocks.
- Take your 8 sewn blocks and layout in this formation including the 4.5″ solid White block.
- Sewing row by row, be sure to iron open your seams as you finish.
- When lining up your complete rows use straight pins to line up your seams.
- Press open the final seams, turn over and press the front
- You are finished! If you plan on making several of these for a pillow or for a full quilt many of these steps can be shortened by using an assembly line method.
I hope you will enjoy using these steps to create your own Star Crossed block and if you do please share your creations with me!
Just leave a comment for your chance to win 4 – 1/2 yard cuts of the fabrics I used today: Dream Basics in White, Black, Aqua & Citrus. I will select a name via random number generator, please make sure that I have a way to contact you. This giveaway will close on Wednesday January 22nd at 6pm Central.
Congrats to Kim M. our big fabric winner!!! Thank you to everyone that commented and I would love to hear if you make the block! Please send me a picture of your own version and I will share it here in a later post.
Be sure to check out the entire week’s lineup: (more chances to win!!)
- Monday, Jan 13 – Jessica Alexandrakis – http://www.lifeunderquilts.blogspot.com
- Tuesday, Jan 14 – Kim Brackett - http://www.magnoliabayquilts.blogspot.com
- Wednesday, Jan 15 – http://www.modernhandcraft.com ( You are here!)
- Thursday, Jan 16 – John Kubiniec – http://www.bigrigquilting.blogspot.com
- Friday, Jan 17 – Kimberly Einmo – http://www.kimberlyeinmo.com/blog
- Friday, Jan 17 – The 30 – pc Dream FQ Bundle Giveaway over at Sew Timeless Blog!
Thanks for stopping by friends!