Hexagon Mini Quilt: A Tutorial

Hi friends! Today I am sharing a tutorial to help you tackle that pile of hexagons you have laying around.

The Easy Hexagon Mini Quilt

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons TutorialThis originally came together when I was working on a pillow for a giveaway on my blog several months ago. Several people have asked me since for some tips on how to recreate this pillow and I finally had time to whip up some instructions.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons Tutorial

In English paper piecing, hexagons are usually sewn together and the process can take a very long time. This was sort of an accident of being in a hurry, and a little lazy…

For today’s project you will need the following materials:

In parenthesis is the exact number and measurements that were used in my project. Since you can make this into a mini quilt or a pillow top, feel free to play around with how many hexies you use. There is no right number :)

• Hexagons (for this project I used exactly 71 – 1″ hexagons) The hexagon template you use is measured based off of one of the six sides – making these actually 2″ in size. Ellison Lane has a fantastic video tutorial on how to make a hexie for those of you who are new to paper piecing. I am a big fan of pre-cut hexagons from Paper Pieces but you can also print your own at home with a free pattern from Connectingthreads.com -  I recommend printing on heavier paper so you may reuse the hexagons.
  • Thread for sewing your hexagons – any color, and thread for your sewing machine. I chose a white to match my white fabric background.
  • 2.5″ squares of fabric for your hexagons (I cut 18 – 5″ charm squares into 1/4 to create 72 squares, 71 were used, fabric is Joy from Kate Spain) Charm packs that consist of 5″ squares are perfect for this project because all you have to do is cut into 1/4 to make the 2.5″ fabric square needed. There are also mini charm packs that are already the 2.5″ size. If you have a pile of scrap fabric, just make sure the scrap is large enough to wrap over the edges of the hexagon template with room to glue down.
  • Aleene’s Fabric Fusion – this is a clear, water-based adhesive that is machine washable and flexible. It creates a permanent bond between fabrics. I used the bottle of Fabric Fusion but there is a glue pen version that I am sure is great.
  • 2 pieces of fabric, 1 for the background of your hexagons, and 1 for your quilted backing. (My fabric measures 16.5″ x 21.5″) If you are making a pillow but your fabric a couple of inches larger than your desired pillow size.
  • Quilt batting or fusable fleece. (I used a fusable batting, you may choose to baste or use a spray adhesive before quilting)
  • Iron, cutting board, scissors

Step 1:

• Make your hexies, again for a how to video I highly recommend Jennifer’s tutorial over at Ellison Lane.
  • With your iron set on high heat/steam press all of your hexies. This will allow the hexagon to keep it’s shape when you take out the stitches and the paper template inside.

Step 2:

• Take one of the two pieces of fabric to your iron and fold in half – then press. Fold in half the other direction – then press. This will create a nice fold as a pattern to lay your hexies on.

Step 3:

• Lay out some sheets of paper under your fabric, this will keep any glue residue from sticking to your work surface.
  • Keeping your hexie stitched together start to layout your design. I place the first right in the middle where the two folds meet.
  • Continue to lay out your pattern horizontally and then fill in from the middle out.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons Tutorial

• Now that you have all of your hexies in a pattern, look over the entire area to make sure that you like how they are grouped. A great way to check this is to take a black and white picture with your phone and see the value.

Step 4:

• Remove your middle hexie – starting from the middle and working your way out will help you keep everything measuring nicely.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons Tutorial

• Using your scissors, snip the thread on the back of your hexie and pull out the thread.

minihex10

• Now remove the paper hexagon template. Your hexie should stay well folded since you ironed with high heat/steam.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons TutorialStep 5:

• Now using your Fabric Fusion glue, draw a thin line around the back perimeter of the hexie.
  • Place the hexie back into it’s spot in the middle and repeat 70 more times :) or as many as you like.
  • Remember to work from the inside out so that your hexie pieces will measure nicely.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons Tutorial

All glued down and ready to finish!

Step 6:

• Now you are free to finish the project however you like – If making a mini quilt or pillow top you will now need to layer your batting and back fabric and baste / pin or spray.
  • There are several ways you can now quilt this, I am going to show you how to quilt in the pattern I have above – straight line stitching.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons Tutorial

• Starting at the edge of your fabric sew straight stitches from point to point on the hexagons – pictured above.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons Tutorial

• Now you will stitch straight line stitches from corner point to corner point starting at the edge of your fabric – pictured above.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons Tutorial

• Last section of straight line stitching from the other side corner to corner starting at the edge of your fabric – pictured above.

Step 7:

• Now trim the edges and feel free to add binding to finish this off as a mini quilt or trim and make into a pillow top.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons Tutorial

When quilting in the straight line pattern the back is just as striking as the front if not more.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons Tutorial

For my pillow top, I wanted to make it a little more secure in case it was washed. I did a stitch around the edges of each hexagon. I chose to do a red thread with the red hexies and cream thread with the tan and cream ones.

Here is a picture of the original mini quilt that I made for my partner in the Schnitzel and Boo mini quilt swap. Featuring a beautiful Joel Dewberry fabric – Aviary 2 in Lilac.

www.modernhandcraft.com Easy Hexagons Tutorial

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and that it was easy to understand. Please do not hesitate to ask questions or to let me know if anything about it is confusing.

Linking up today with Finish it up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts

Thank you so much for stopping by friends and I hope to see you again soon!

31 Comments on Hexagon Mini Quilt: A Tutorial

1. Sara
    November 22, 2013 at 11:03 am (5 months ago)

I wish I enjoyed making hexies since this table runner is pretty irresistible!!!! maybe someday;)

• nicole
      November 22, 2013 at 11:09 am (5 months ago)

Sara, it took me a while to enjoy making them so I completely understand! Keep saving some fabric scraps for when that someday happens you will be all set :)

2. cath@wombatquilts
    November 22, 2013 at 1:57 pm (5 months ago)

Fabulous. I love it. I have a stash of hexagons and I now have another use for them. Thanks so much.

• nicole
      November 22, 2013 at 11:02 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you Cath! I have a big pile of random ones I am excited to make something with now as well. If you make something like this please share it, would love to see what you create!

3. Christen @ Love By Hand
    November 22, 2013 at 2:37 pm (5 months ago)

Wow! This is absolutely stunning! I’ve seen your progress on IG (I’m loveelainellc) and I’m absolutely smitten. I love it in the Christmas fabric or the Joel Dewberry – simply amazing! I’ve never done EPP but this is making me want to learn!

• nicole
      November 22, 2013 at 11:04 pm (5 months ago)

You are so sweet Christen, thank you! So happy to have great IG friends, isn’t it the best?! You will love EPP once you start, it is THE best carry in your purse project. You can work on it anywhere since it is so portable.

4. Sue S
    November 22, 2013 at 6:30 pm (5 months ago)

Wonderful – another great hexie project! I love the way it looks with the white in between the hexies. Thanks for sharing!

• nicole
      November 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm (5 months ago)

You’re welcome Sue! So happy to have you check out the tutorial. I hope you give the project a try, it is so much fun.

5. liz
    November 22, 2013 at 6:41 pm (5 months ago)

Very pretty! Thanks for the tute :)

• nicole
      November 22, 2013 at 10:59 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you so much Liz! Hope you enjoy making this project, please share it with us if you do!

6. Peggyinno
    November 23, 2013 at 8:21 am (5 months ago)

I haven’t gotten on the hexie bandwagon yet, BUT this project may be to cute for me to resist! Thanks for a great tutorial and I look forward to trying it one day!

• nicole
      November 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks Peggy – I hope you do hop on the bandwagon! So perfect for all of those little scrap pieces we all have :)

7. Shauna
    November 23, 2013 at 10:53 am (5 months ago)

Love the tutorial and I will definitely be planning to made a hanging. Bought some hexies at Liberty London to make up when I was in London last fall and this project will be perfect to show case them. Thanks for sharing. Also love the Aviary 2 line of fabric.

• nicole
      November 23, 2013 at 5:57 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you so much Shauna! I really hope you share your project with us when you are finished….it is going to be absolutely stunning in Liberty!!!

8. Debbie
    November 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm (5 months ago)

Can’t say I really love to make hexies but this looks very fun! Thanks for sharing! Love your finished mini especially!

• nicole
      November 23, 2013 at 5:55 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks Debbie! I have a love / hate relationship with them…I am sure I am going to hate them very soon :)

9. Paula
    November 24, 2013 at 3:06 am (5 months ago)

Thanks for a great tutorial. I really love the mini quilt you made

10. Adrienne
    November 24, 2013 at 5:56 pm (5 months ago)

So Great! I have some Hexies basted and waiting for a project just like this!

• nicole
      November 24, 2013 at 6:35 pm (5 months ago)

Wonderful Adrienne! I have a couple more hexie tutorials coming up soon so there are several chances to use them! :)

11. Kate Spain
    November 25, 2013 at 8:07 am (5 months ago)

Nicole, this is so adorable! You’ve done such a wonderful job with this tutorial. Keep inspiring us with your beautiful creations! xo

• nicole
      November 26, 2013 at 11:14 am (5 months ago)

Thank you so so much Kate! This line was so much fun to work with, looking forward to working with your designs again :)

12. kris
    November 27, 2013 at 6:50 am (5 months ago)

Wow thanks for the tutorial and the pieces just look great. I especially like the cross grid quilting. Wonderful job!

13. Susan McAdams
    December 3, 2013 at 5:34 pm (5 months ago)

Love the hexagon mini-quilt. It looks so uniform. Great job.

• nicole
      December 3, 2013 at 8:30 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you so much Susan!

14. Iva
    December 11, 2013 at 4:45 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you for this great tutorial. Looks wonderful! I love this mini-quilt <3

15. Tracey
    January 20, 2014 at 5:26 pm (3 months ago)

I just made this quilt for a swap and I am absolutely in love with it! Thank you for the tutorial! As soon as I can get a good picture, I will share it with you.

• nicole
      January 22, 2014 at 8:55 am (3 months ago)

Tracey – I would love love love to see a picture of your project – I’ll share it with my readers! I am so happy that you had fun making it, I am about to start some more pillows with this same process, way faster than the old way.

16. Meg
    January 22, 2014 at 7:27 pm (3 months ago)

I love this! I want to do it for a baby quilt. Do you think the edges that aren’t sewn down will eventually come up when washed and I need to sew around each one first? Thanks!

• nicole
      January 23, 2014 at 7:21 am (3 months ago)

Thanks Meg! If you are making it for something that will be washed repeatedly like a quilt, I would definitely stitch around each one. You might space them out a little more. Keeping your needle down as you turn the corners made it so much easier for me when I did a pillow like that. Good luck and I hope you will share it with me when you are done! I would love to see a larger project like that :)

• Meg
        February 1, 2014 at 11:37 pm (3 months ago)

Fantastic! Thanks. I will definitely share a photo when I finish. Thanks for the tutorial!

17. Debbie
    April 5, 2014 at 7:19 pm (3 weeks ago)

Absolutely adorable! Thank you so much for sharing!