Countdown to christmas quilt-along

I am finally all caught up with the Countdown to Christmas Quilt-Along over at Better off Thread and Melia Mae Quilting and I will say that this has been my favorite Christmas project to date! This amazing free pattern may be found over at Sew Mama Sew and was designed by Elizabeth Hartman of Oh, Fransson!

ac5

It was a little daunting at first, the cutting, the numbers but the process was so much fun it was worth it. Once you get into your little sewing groove with the numbers you are finished before you know it!

ac3

There was one minor little change that I made to the pattern, I switched to a straight 1.5″ sashing in between each pocket. This makes the advent calendar a little smaller, and it allowed me to just quilt around each pocket instead of free motion quilting (which I am HORRIBLE at) To see some awesome FMQ take a look at Janice’s finished calendar! For my numbers I used a regular cheap felt and did a tiny zigzag stitch around each one. I love the pockets that are completely monochromatic with the red fabric and red number :)

ac7

ac2

There is still time to join in! November 25th is the big link up over at the two blogs above for a chance to win some great prizes….and honestly, you really have until that 1st day of December to finish right?!

ac8

Since my little guy is turning two – on Thursday! I might add some treats other than chocolates and candy….

ac4

Maybe little toy cars, ornaments for Grey to place on the tree that day, or a little cookie. Luckily he gets excited for the smallest of things!

ac1

Looking forward to putting this up every year as a new tradition for our family. I chose to stick to mainly red and white colors for my calendar because I know I will always decorate with those and there are bits of green, black and aqua so it will always match my changing decor.

ac9

Hope you can stop by Ellison Lane tomorrow because it is my day to host the Holiday Hostess Tutorial series!

Holiday-Hostess-graphic-300

Thanks for stopping by,

13 Comments on Countdown to christmas quilt-along

1. Jennifer @ ellison lane
    November 12, 2013 at 3:10 pm (5 months ago)

It looks fab and I love the sneak peek into your living room.
    Happy Birthday to your little guy!

• nicole
      November 12, 2013 at 3:20 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks Jennifer! My poor living room….you should see what I threw over my shoulder on the other side of the camera….my son is un-decorating my tree as we speak :)

• nicole
      November 13, 2013 at 7:41 pm (5 months ago)

Oh goodie Jen! I can’t wait to see what fabrics you have picked out. Have fun making the calendar and share it with us when you are done!

2. sophie
    November 12, 2013 at 3:36 pm (5 months ago)

this is just fabulous! I love it!! great colors, great modern look!

• nicole
      November 13, 2013 at 7:42 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you so much Sophie! I can’t wait until the 1st to start putting goodies in it. :)

3. Melissa
    November 12, 2013 at 7:40 pm (5 months ago)

Your advent calendar turned out absolutely gorgeous! I also love the sneak peak into your living room! What quilt do you have on your couch. It looks gorgeous! You really did a great job!

4. katie
    November 28, 2013 at 8:37 am (5 months ago)

I LOVE all the red in your advent calendar!! It is my favourite Christmas colour :)

5. Laurie
    November 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm (5 months ago)

I made this too and agree that cutting out all those little numbers is tedious -that was the worst part for me. Good job on yours and I love the gorgeous pictures!!!!!

• nicole
      December 2, 2013 at 6:36 am (5 months ago)

Thank you Laurie! Yes those dang numbers….happy those are out of the way for sure! You are so sweet and I can’t wait to see pictures of your advent calendar :)

• nicole
      December 2, 2013 at 6:40 am (5 months ago)

Thank you so much Sarah! I love your advent calendar as well, I have some great Christmas paper that this will be perfect for :) :)